Monday, December 8, 2008

Hi little girl, it's me. Don't you know who I am?

Have you ever talked dirty to an avocado as you cut it up? I highly recommend it. Puns are still funny if they're unintentional, right?

My ears are ringing with the sounds of rodents scratching, eating, fucking, and buying Christmas presents in the cupboards and behind the refrigerator and oven.

I'm trying to find a picture to put a caption on. It will be posted here eventually.























Okay, so I posted it. I really wish there were better pictures of Dylan for this. Oh well. At least he looks terribly sad.

There is about 4 inches of snow on the ground right now.  Supposed to be another 4" by tomorrow. I live in a house on a corner and I get to shovel about 80 paces worth of snow every time it snows. My back hurts. Oh well.

I'm committing to listening to the Beach Boys until I forget about it. I only have 3 albums on my computer so I'm probably gonna have to add some stuff. Pet Sounds a capella is pretty amazing right now. One of my favorite lesser known Beach Boys albums is Summer Days (and Summer Nights which features the hits "Help Me Rhonda" and "California Girls" but also includes several wacky tunes like "I'm Bugged at My Old Man", where The Brothers Wilson sing wonderful verses such as:
They gave me some breadcrumbs
And a little glass of water
And they're out there eating steak
(Smells so good)
Other songs such as "Salt Lake City" (What else is there to do in SLC but be polygamous?) and "Amusement Parks U.S.A." (I'm assuming that they got some free rollercoaster rides out of this little jingle) are nearly successful in making this album appear to have very little substance. But wait! You get to the middle of the album and Brian Wilson starts to kick out the jams, motherfuckers. Aside from the previously mentioned hits, "Girl Don't Tell Me" has a wonderful melody and makes me remember all my middle-school summer camp flings. "Let Him Run Wild" features Brian's falsetto at its best with an absolutely killer hook in the chorus. A song that seems to foreshadow the Pet Sounds vibe is "You're So Good To Me", which is like an upbeat version of "You Still Believe In Me." "Summer Means New Love", in the same way, is a beautiful instrumental piece a la "Let's Go Away For Awhile." The album ends with a beautiful a capella song "And Your Dreams Come True" which is a good a way to end an album as any. It feels like the credits at the end of a movie scrolling upwards to heaven. The only unmentioned, although somewhat notable song on the album is "Then I Kissed Her" which was written by Phil Spector and a couple other guys. It's a good song and fits very well with the rest of the album, but I don't usually get too excited about covers. 

Apparently this blog turned into an album review. COOL.

Today I came up with a term which describes an aesthetic that I really appreciate. It has the same initials as Erectile Disfunction.

No comments: