Monday, April 13, 2009

Just A Pawn In The Game

This is a tale of coincidence, improbability, and the magnetic guidance of fate.

A few months ago, my friend suggested that I date one of her coworkers from a local restaurant. Naturally, I looked at the girl's Facebook page and browsed through her pictures. She seemed quite attractive, rides a bike, has a dog, plus plus plusses... we'll call her "Cindy". Anyway, with no way to meet her other than just walking into the restaurant and talking to her, I forgot about the situation. Last night I was Facebook-chatting with another friend who works at the same restaurant and looking at some of her pictures. I saw a picture of Cindy, and asked my friend about her. We joked about some ways that she could set me up with Cindy, such as my friend chaperoning a date or perhaps Cindy chaperoning a date between my friend and I. It was mostly nonsense, but a little bit later, I was still thinking about Cindy and imagining her being at Bryant-Lake Bowl, where I was heading for a nightcap with a friend.

Maybe 30 minutes pass, and I arrive at the bar with my friend. I don't go to this place too frequently because I always see too many people I know. Usually, there are three different parties of people that I know. First, I see a trashy hair school girl who frequents my work and lives above it. The second, a totally evil bitch that everyone I know secretly hates. The third is my friend Saba is sitting with a friend at a table near the door. I grab a table near the back with my friend. I got a beer and she had a Bloody Mary. Ten minutes go by and I turn around to see Cindy walk in the door. I burst into laughter and explain to my friend what had just happened. This is an example of something I call "summoning", where I feel like I can will people to be certain places. It used to happen with the friend I was with, so she is aware of my powers. We laughed about it for awhile, until I realized that trashy hair school girl and the evil bitch that everyone secretly hates are also named Cindy. Then I got a little freaked out. The real name isn't very common either.

Ughhh. Sorry.

No comments: